FEIN Registration

Where to register for a Federal Employer Identification Number (abbreviated as FEIN or EIN).

The Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN or EIN) is a nine digit number assigned to entities for tax filing and reporting purposes. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) instructs that you must file this form if you pay wages to one or more employees. For instance, social security, medicare, and withheld income tax are usually reported on Form 941, Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return.

Excerpt from Per IRS Publication 542 “EINs are used to identify the tax accounts of employers, certain sole proprietors, corporations, partnerships, estates, trusts, and other entities. If you don’t already have an EIN, you need to get one if you:

  1. Have employees,
  2. Have a qualified retirement plan,
  3. Operate your business as a corporation or partnership, or4) File returns for:a) Employment taxes,b) Excise taxes orc) Alcohol, tobacco, or firearms taxes.

How to get an EIN. You can get an EIN by mail, telephone, or fax. But first you must fill out Form SS–4, Application for Employer Identification Number. You can get Form SS–4 on the web, at SSA offices, your bank, post office, IRS office, or by calling the IRS Forms Distribution Center at 800.829.3676.

‘You can get a FEIN immediately by completing the Form SS-4 and calling the IRS Tele-TIN number. For Indiana the service is located in Cincinnati and the number is 606-292-5467. You must mail or fax your form to the IRS within 24 hours after getting your FEIN over the phone.

Phone numbers:

IRS general phone number: 800.829.1040

IRS Forms Distribution Center 800.829.3676